Monday, November 17, 2008

Prop 8 backlash

I don't know what everyone else is experiencing in regard to prop 8 backlash, those of you in CA and UT are probably getting the worst of it. Well, we had a group of protestors come into the church yesterday during the ward before ours. I haven't heard details of what happened, but I do know that the bishop from our ward had some of the heftiest men in the ward sit in the foyers during our meetings, just to be on the safe side. We're pretty lucky we have a police officer in our ward who was patrolling the foyers too. Crazy stuff. You know, I'm all for protesting and demonstrating, I wouldn't take away someone's freedom of speech for anything. When it comes to trespassing and vandalizing I get pretty upset though. It's hard for me to voice much of an opinion when it comes to controversial things like gay rights, because we have a couple of relatives who have chosen that path, and it's kind of a situation of love the sinner but hate the sin. I will say however, and have said to them, that I don't have a problem with people, whether they be homosexual or not having "rights", being able to be in the hospital together, or sign contracts together. I DO have a problem with a redefinition of marriage. I cannot support it. I'm sure most of you feel similar.

2 comments:

Marti Hawker said...

I here ya! Tony is on the presidaents security team. I have never feared for his life being in danger until this whole prop eight passed. It is too bad that the Church has been targeted when they where only a small part in it. They just asked the members to stand up for what is right. Guess it is the sign of the times.

Marti Hawker said...

Amy, do you know if this was reported to the local police department other than the police officer that was there?

Also with the many problems the church is having with the prop 8 protestors, this should be reported to the Church Security Department. There are analysts over every part of the country that keep records of these things that can go to court. It helps in situations when they become out of control like they currently are.

Email my wife if you wouldn't mind.

Tony Hawker